Halloween is almost here, meaning that a number of children will be walking the streets in their costumes going trick-or-treating. Adults will not only participate with their young children, but many also attend parties and get dressed up themselves.
It’s an enjoyable time of year that can be fun for people of all ages, but it’s also a time when both drivers and pedestrians need to be extra aware of their surroundings. With so many people out and about, practicing safety on the roads and while walking will be even more important.
Halloween Safety Tips
Last month we talked about the safe driving practices that our drivers use every time they hit the road. As Toronto’s most trusted source for medical delivery we offer a number of delivery options – not only by vehicle, but also by cycling and even on-foot delivery when applicable.
With Halloween on the way, we thought this would be an appropriate time to talk about the pedestrian safety tips that our on-foot delivery people use while navigating Toronto’s busy streets. While out and about enjoying Halloween, whether a child or an adult, it’s important to keep these tips in mind in order to ensure a fun and safe time.
Halloween safety tips for pedestrians:
- Choose costumes that have bright colours for higher visibility. Wearing a dark costume puts you or your child at risk of not being seen by a vehicle at night.
- Cross the road only at street corners. Wait for the traffic light to indicate it is safe for pedestrians to cross or make sure all cars have come to a complete stop before using a crosswalk.
- Regardless of where you cross the road, look left, right, and left again, and keep looking even as you make your way across.
- Always listen for vehicles – this means refraining from using cellphones or being distracted while crossing.
- Use sidewalks or designated paths when possible. If not available, walk while facing traffic that way you can always see when a car is coming.
- If you’re using public transportation, make sure you wait for buses or street cars at designated pick-up and drop-off locations. Never run after a bus, especially if it means jay walking or entering an intersection after the designated pedestrian crossing time is over.
- Never pass in between vehicles, even if they are stationary. This is especially the case with public transportation vehicles, as the driver may be unable to see you.
While these tips are great for Halloween when a number of children and adults will be out on the streets, they are also generally good for everyday use as well. For example, wearing light clothing is always recommended when out on the streets at night, especially for those who work late.
Safe and Reliable Delivery
Whether on foot or by car, R Courier offers expert medical parcel delivery that ensures the safety of not only the items we deliver but of our couriers and the people they interact with every day. We pride ourselves in providing training for our staff that will give them the tools to excel at their jobs while maintaining best industry standards.
If you want to see the difference a local medical courier makes, then be sure to contact us for all of your delivery needs. We are the most reliable, fastest, and time dependent door-to-door delivery service that you will ever use – guaranteed!